Question:

From Buffalo, New York, USA:

I just got my results back from my gestational diabetes testing, done at 26 weeks. My nurse said I passed and was within their number range. However, when she said my result was 76 mg/dl [4.2 mmol/L], I thought this was awfully low. However, my test was done early in the morning without much food in my system. I woke up at 7 a.m., ate a small container of yogurt (NOT sugar-free), had a slice of toast with peanut butter, and some water. At 8:15 a.m., I drank Orange Sunkist since my doctor's office said this was an acceptable drink other than the standard orange drink. One hour later, at 9:15, I had the blood drawn. My nurse said not to give it another thought, but I am still concerned the number is too low. Would I have received a higher number, for example, if my test was done later in the day (after a belly full of food, since she did not require me to fast for the one hour test)? What about hypoglycemia? I've never been tested for that, maybe I don't even have it. I was not the least bit lightheaded or dizzy after drinking the pop. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm tempted to have her re-do the test for me next week, at an afternoon appointment.

Answer:

A blood glucose of 76 mg/dl is not too low. However, I am not sure that you were properly screened for gestational diabetes. The standard is a 50 gram glucose load with a blood sugar measurement one hour after drinking the glucose solution. Hopefully, this is what you received in the Sunkist drink. The test does not have to be done on an empty stomach and can be done at any time of day.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes