Question:

From Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, USA:

My daughter, who has had type 1 for 15 months, has experienced two episodes of bleeding from under her fingernail. It is very similar to nosebleed type hemorrhaging, sudden and lots of blood. There is no injury to the nail and it is not at a test site. She is already suffering from neuropathy and her most recent urine albumin is showing signs of kidney damage. We are working closely with several specialists as her body does not seem to react normally to insulin. I'm worried that the bleeding could be tied to more serious diabetic complications.

Answer:

There are not many known bleeding disorders associated with diabetes itself, even poorly controlled diabetes. I would look for other causes i.e., aspirin.