Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

My question is about my niece's condition. She is five and about to start school in August 2006. She may end up as a home schooled child because there isn't enough help or education for the school or teachers to help with my niece's illness. She takes three types of insulin, is on a very strict diet and oral medications, etc. She has had so many seizures that she is now up to the point where a seizure can wipe her out for the rest of the day, with it taking a day or two just for this baby to remember her name, much less anyone or anything else! Her doctors have told her mother that she will not live long, that this child could have a stroke and/or heart attack at any time and die. With all this technology we have these days, why is this child having to suffer like this? Is there really nothing else my sister can do but help her daughter go through this pain every day and watch her child die? Please tell me where else they can look for answers and help. Please tell me that there's more out there that can help this child other than what's she's going through right now.

Answer:

It is not clear from your e-mail whether or not this child has diabetes related seizures or a seizure/neurological problem.

The American for Disabilities Act is a federal law that states that every school in the country must provide for appropriate accommodation for every school child. Some children, of course, cannot function in a regular school setting. If this child has diabetes, then, like children all around the world, including the USA, she can go to school. I would suggest that you have this child's parents talk very directly with the physicians providing care and supervision for her and get their advice as to how to proceed, what assistance is available locally and what legal recourse may be required.