Question:

From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

My 13 year old son, who has type 1, has been on a Regular and NPH regimen for four years, since diagnosis. His last A1c went up from 6.4 to 7.0. I expect puberty has an effect. I read somewhere that the Regular and NPH regimen is outdated (less than 1%) with the new insulins now available. Do you agree?

Answer:

I agree that NPH was a useful insulin in the past but, given the availability of the newer insulins such as Lantus (long-acting insulin) and Humalog/NovoLog/Apidra (short-acting insulin), the usefulness of NPH as their basal insulin for most kids with diabetes is clearly questionable.