Question:

From Belmont, North New South Wales, Australia:

My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes in September and I think the reality of it all has hit because she just isn't herself at the moment. She is nine and doing things she wouldn't normally do. Her schoolwork is slipping. I know what she has gone through is life changing. I just don't know how to help her. What should I do?

Answer:

It might be helpful to ask your daughter how she is doing. You can let her know that you have noticed that she does not seem to be herself and you are wondering if she has noticed that as well. She may offer wonderful insights into how she is doing and what is bothering her. She may benefit from looking through the different options on this web site that are just for children with diabetes. Maybe learning that she is not alone would help. Maybe encouraging her to share her thoughts and feelings with a close friend would help.

Also, it may be that she would benefit from speaking with a mental health professional. Contact your child's diabetes team and ask them who they recommend. They will know the individuals with expertise in working with young children who live with diabetes. Maybe one or two visits will help.

JWB

Posted to Behavior