From Glenview, Illinois, USA:

I currently have a federal lawsuit going against the Glenview Police Department. I was in the police station, but not under arrest. They withheld my insulin from me. I asked to get my insulin and medical treatment for hours. I ended up in the hospital with a blood sugar of 800 mg/dl [44.4 mmol/L]. Do you know of any other cases like this?

You may want to consider calling the Advocacy Department at the American Diabetes Association. You can call 1-800 DIABETES and ask to speak to someone in the advocacy department. That is a case that I assume they would like to know about.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

This sounds not only dangerous, but illegal to me. I also think that you need to have some newspaper writers know of this story so that it can be more widely circulated since it probably happens more than we would like to believe. Also, I would suggest that you contact the legal department of the American Diabetes Association since they have lawyers who might have some useful information.

Posted to Other and Hyperglycemia and DKA