From Tecumseh, Michigan, USA:

When a child with type 1 diabetes goes to jail for whatever issues that are going on, why do the doctors in the jail take it upon themselves to treat type 1 like type 2? Why do they cut the child's insulin in half, giving them only half of what your child's diabetes specialist orders?

If you think that your child is experiencing discrimination problems because your child is in jail, I would recommend that you contact the American Diabetes Association's (ADA) Advocacy Department. The ADA's number is 1-800-DIABETES and then you can ask to speak to someone from the advocacy department.

Additional comments from Dr. Larry Deeb:

Regrettably, a powerful argument for staying out of jail. I tell my patients just that.

The doctor doesn't know about type 1. Officials don't want you too high and certainly not too low So, 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] is okay. Too high is 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L] and 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] means you might go low.

People in jail generally have done bad things and might just let themselves go low to get out of jail, etc

My best advice: don't go to jail.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

You might consider hiring a lawyer to get an emergency medical intervention with support from the person's diabetologist, if necessary.

Posted to Other and Insulin