Question:

From Tecumseh, Michigan, USA:

When a child with type 1 diabetes goes to jail for whatever issues that are going on, why do the doctors in the jail take it upon themselves to treat type 1 like type 2? Why do they cut the child's insulin in half, giving them only half of what your child's diabetes specialist orders?

Answer:

If you think that your child is experiencing discrimination problems because your child is in jail, I would recommend that you contact the American Diabetes Association's (ADA) Advocacy Department. The ADA's number is 1-800-DIABETES and then you can ask to speak to someone from the advocacy department.

DB

Additional comments from Dr. Larry Deeb:

Regrettably, a powerful argument for staying out of jail. I tell my patients just that.

The doctor doesn't know about type 1. Officials don't want you too high and certainly not too low So, 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] is okay. Too high is 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L] and 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] means you might go low.

People in jail generally have done bad things and might just let themselves go low to get out of jail, etc

My best advice: don't go to jail.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

You might consider hiring a lawyer to get an emergency medical intervention with support from the person's diabetologist, if necessary.

Posted to Other and Insulin