From Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA:

My eight year old was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year ago. His blood sugars are up and down and the doctors are changing his insulin doses. Is this normal? If so, how long will it be before we can maintain his sugars? Is this my fault as a parent?

Having labile (rapidly changing) blood sugars is a problem for most kids and teens with diabetes. Clearly, you should work to minimize the amount of fluctuations in blood sugars, but also realize that eliminating them it is not possible. You should strive to give appropriate doses of rapid-acting insulin for any carbohydrate intake and high blood sugar, give a long-acting insulin, such as Lantus, to cover his basal needs, carefully count carbohydrates at mealtimes and snacks and review his blood sugars, routinely making minor adjustments to the way you give insulin. Your physician or diabetes educator can help to make sure you have all the tools you need to best manage your son's diabetes.

The fluctuations in your son's blood sugars are not your fault. Nor are you at fault for your son having diabetes.

Posted to Daily Care and Other