From Pleasantville, New York, USA:

My 12 and a half year old daughter weighs 85 pounds. Cold medicine, pills as well as liquids, generally brings up her blood sugar dramatically. Other than Diabetussin, which she doesn't like, and the adult remedies, e.g. Tylenol cold tablets, etc., what over-the-counter daytime decongestant has the least amount of sugar? And, if we were to use the Sudafed Children's Daytime Non-drowsy liquid, what is the carbohydrate/sugar ratio in one teaspoon so she can bolus for it? The boxes don't have this information.

The amount of sugar in most cold preparations is small. Rising blood sugars during times of illness is usually due to the illness, not the cough or cold preparation."Diabetic" cough and cold preparations are available and should be used by those who are concerned about the sugar in the standard over-the-counter preparations. In my practice, I usually recommend any cough or cold preparation and instruct parents to monitor blood sugars and ketones carefully during any time of illness and treat appropriately. The choice of which preparation to use is less important.

[Editor's comment: You might want to write to the manufacturer to get the carbohydrate count for medications. BH]