From Arlington, Washington, USA:

My son has been hospitalized twice in eight days due to vomiting, ketones and high blood sugars. His diabetes doctor wants no change in insulin amounts. Would the pump be better than the insulin injections?

There are many things to consider when a child has frequent ketoacidosis. You must consider his current insulin dosing, his current activity level, his insulin storage (has his insulin for some reason been compromised?), presence of other illness, as well as a variety of other problems that can contribute to diabetic ketoacidosis. Two episodes of DKA (ketoacidosis) is not necessarily an indication to move to an insulin pump. I would do a thorough review of his dosing and all aspects of his care with your physician and an informed diabetes educator to determine the cause of his DKA and work to prevent it in the future.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Daily Care