Question:

From Great Mills, Maryland, USA:

On January 31, 2006, my 10 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Within the last week, he has had episodes of normal blood sugars, but appears fatigued, has bouts of nausea without vomiting, headache and loss of appetite. On February 6, this episode lasted for about five hours and he had another episode again on February 9. It is now the 12th and he is having another episode. His blood sugars are within his range and his ketones are trace. We've been to the Emergency Room and pediatrician on two occasions and are in constant contact with Children's Hospital. They always check for DKA and conclude the he is not in DKA. We've been told "we can't be 100% certain, but it sounds like he has a viral infection". His CBC and urinalysis all come back normal or within the normal ranges. I am at a loss and am fearful for my son's health. Has anyone experienced anything similar? What other tests can be run on my son to determine what is wrong? It's like he presents certain symptoms of DKA, but is not in DKA. Please help. I am desperate.

Answer:

I would suggest taking your son to a board certified pediatrician. There are several other causes of vomiting, headaches and loss of appetite that are more appropriately evaluated in your pediatrician's office and may have no relation to his diabetes.