From Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, USA:

I have just been diagnosed with diabetes and was told to monitor my blood sugar. I have serious needle phobia. I need EMLA cream to prep for venipuncture and, even so, it's always a traumatic experience. The mere thought of using a lancet makes me queasy and tense. I "might" be able to tolerate an all-in-one monitor like the MediSense Sof-Tact (since I'd never see the blood), but it's discontinued and I haven't seen any others like it. Should I consider buying a leftover one anyway? Are there any non-invasive monitors I might be able to obtain prior to FDA approval? Do I have any other options?

My suggestion is to talk this over with your physician. Needle phobia is something that needs to be addressed. From previous experience, if you do not address it, you will not have as good of control of your sugars. You will always be compromising yourself. We have referred our patients to see psychologists to help with this. Becoming less fearful of needle sticks is a better strategy than how to avoid them.

[Editor's comment: Buying a discontinued monitor is not the best choice as you would eventually not be able to obtain test strips. Unless you are participating in a clinic study in which you have been given a "test" version of a meter, you cannot receive a product before it obtains FDA approval. BH]

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Other