Question:

From Carteret, New Jersey, USA:

My niece is overweight. Our family tends to gain weight easily. I am on a limited carbohydrate diet, which works for me. My niece needs carbohydrates when her blood sugars are low. I desperately want to help her. Is there a diet that we can follow to ensure she is getting the carbohydrates/sugar that she needs, but that will allow her to lose weight? I would even hire a consultant that would go to her home and organize the kitchen with only the things that should be in the home. I would hire a cook as well. I really want to help her. Being in high school is difficult enough, but when you have diabetes and are heavy, it's really not a lot of fun. She's becoming depressed and I want to help. Is there a published diet or someone to whom I can speak?

Answer:

I would recommend that you and your niece make an appointment with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. This person can individualize a meal plan for your niece that will allow for weight management and assist with obtaining optimal blood sugar control. Sometimes with insulin pump therapy, kids (and adults for that matter) gain more flexibility with meal planning and, as a result, sometimes weight gain can be a problem. This may or may not be a problem for your niece. A registered dietitian can assess this. If you have problems finding a dietitian, ask your health care provider for a referral.

JMS