From Kilbaha, Ireland:

My four year old son is dairy intolerant. If he has any dairy, he suffers with desperate mood swings, cross, feeling up and down, hyper sometimes. He also has noticeably strong reactions to certain sweet foods. In the past year, his weight has hardly changed at all and remains below average. More recently, he has been drinking a lot, urinating a lot and bed wetting, too. The most recent worry is that he is having sporadic moments of fatigue that he didn't normally have as he is an energetic child. However, in between times, he is otherwise fine. I am taking him to the doctor this week. Diabetes has been on my mind for a while now as it is in the family on both sides. Does this sound to you like cause for concern? Is there normally a link with dairy intolerance and the sweet lactose thing? I would like to be a bit more aware when I visit my doctor and I don't want to be sent home without having all tests done.

Diabetes is not at all related to lactose intolerance. The symptoms you describe could be the symptoms of high sugars - diabetes - so a blood glucose test and urinalysis should be done. If there are still some questions, more sophisticated analysis and/or consultation with a pediatric diabetes specialist may be needed. Often we teach kids/parents to check blood glucose levels at home frequently for three or four days since this will give us information about whether there is some glucose intolerance or not.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other