From Manchester, United Kingdom:

I have had type 2 diabetes for a few years and understand most things. I only get aa A1c once a year. Last year, it was 5.9%. This year, it was 6.5%. I want to know if cutting back on exercise would affect the outcome or has the laboratory made a mistake? My fasting level was 7.5 mmol/L [135 mg/dl], but when done on the meter at home, I have readings between 5.9 and 6.5 mmol/L [106 to 117 mg/dl]. Would walking to the doctor's, which is a mile and a half, have altered the outcome? I did walk this in 25 minutes. I'm not pleased with my annual tests this year as they don't match me. Is there a meter available for testing my A1c at home?

You should have an A1c done at least every six months. There are home tests but you would need to learn how to do it. It is probably better to have your health care provider check you more often. Why don't you try to improve your diet and exercise routine and ask to be re-checked in three months to see if it is working? Three months is a reasonable time to try diet and exercise. If that doesn't work you may need to start medication.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Type 2