Question:

From Ohio, USA:

Sometimes, in school, I don't take my insulin. Sometimes, I don't even check my blood sugar. What kind of damage is this doing to my body?

Answer:

The irregular habits of managing diabetes are rather common among adolescents. Nevertheless, you might really be in bad control of your diabetes and expose yourself to the risk either of acute complications, such as severe hypoglycemia, or chronic devastating long term complications, such as those to kidney and eye. You need to work with your diabetes team to develop better habits.

Posted to Behavior