From Delaware, USA:

My seven year old son has type 1. He often gets up to four or five shots a day. Is that normal for a kid that age? I don't know much about it because he lives with my ex-wife and she sometime calls to let me know how he is doing. Last Saturday, she said that his sugar was really low, down to 30 mg/dl [1.7 mmol/L]. How bad is it?

It is almost mandatory for the care of children with type 1 diabetes to apply an intensive insulin therapy with four or five shots a day. That said, sometimes the child may have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and, if promptly corrected, with some food, it doesn't harm. Much more important is your son's the HbA1c Measurement that should be lower than 6.5%. This is the best insurance towards a better healthy life for him.