Question:

From Milton, Florida, USA:

I am a first grade teacher. I have a student who has recently gained a significant amount of weight, is always sleepy, and has frequent upset stomachs. The student comes from a low socioeconomic background. The student used to eat everything on his tray at breakfast and lunch but, now, barely eats either. This has gone on for several months. I have reported this problem to the proper people, but the student has still not seen a doctor. Is there any way this could be a blood sugar problem?

Answer:

This is unlikely to be a blood sugar problem, but easily could represent a serious medical problem that needs attention. I would encourage his parents to seek medical advice from their pediatrician.