Question:

From Vacaville, California, USA:

I've had type 2 diabetes for about eight years now. I've managed to keep my blood sugar normal through diet and exercise, but adhering to this lifestyle is becoming more difficult. Lately, I have been eating all the wrong stuff, i.e., things that are not healthy for diabetics. My primary doctor wants to put me on Glucovance, but I'm reluctant about using medication. On the other hand, I no longer have the willpower to stay on a strict diet. Am I better off on medications? I've been told that diabetics on medications have an increased risk of death compared to those who control their blood sugars with diet and exercise.

Answer:

In clinical trials, those on lifestyle and not on medications have better control with better A1c values. If your blood sugar will be better controlled on medications, that would be the best choice. A1c levels are the best indicator of outcomes. What is best for your overall glucose control is best for your overall health.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes and Type 2