Question:

From North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, USA:

I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic in April of 2005. My A1c was 6.8. I was on birth control. After I stopped taking it, my levels were good. Then, I became pregnant. When I had a glucose tolerance test (with glucola), my blood sugar was 261 mg/dl [14.5 mmol/L] and they sent me to get it under control. I was on five injections a day, Lantus and Humalog, and tested every two hours. Now, two months after giving birth, my a1c is 6.0. This is with no diet or exercise. I have been eating everything I want, like a seven layer chocolate cake, and my sugar two hours later was 106 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L]. Am I still a diabetic? I understand that 6.0 usually means borderline. I have no family history of diabetes and never had symptoms until my birth control was changed. Please help me understand if I am a diabetic or not. I am 26 years old, Caucasian and generally in good health.

Answer:

You still have type 2 diabetes. If you do not watch over your diet and lifestyle, your blood sugars will eventually return to the elevated range. It is important for you to use this time to improve lifestyle choices so that you can keep yourself off any medications.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2