From Long Island, New York, USA:

My eight year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for 3.5 years. My son is almost five and has been showing mild symptoms of diabetes: hunger, thirst, and not gaining any weight. We have tested his sugar from time to time and it has been fine. Today, I tested him 45 minutes after he ate some fruit snacks, 21 grams of carbohydrates, and he was 149 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. I am waiting for our pediatrician to call me back. Does a non-diabetic child always have a blood sugar of normal ranges, less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L], even after eating? Could this be the very early stages of diabetes for him?

No and yes. It is always hard to comment on one blood sugar done at home with a meter. If he were 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L] it would be easier, but the loose ones, like this, are just difficult. Since we can't cure diabetes and can't stop its development, trying monitoring him a while and see. Fasting blood sugars over 126 mg/dl [7.0 mmol/L] are diabetes; symptoms and 200s mg/dl [over 11.1 mmol/L] are diabetes. I wouldn't start insulin in a five year old based on one sugar at any rate.