Question:

From United States:

My daughter, who has type 1, is going away for college in the fall. Can she request academic accommodations from college/professors (i.e., permission to check her blood sugar and eat in class AND during exams, be given extended time/break during exam if she is experiencing a "low/high" or be allowed to take the text/exam at another time)? Is this a common practice in college? What are the other accommodations I can request? Are there any sample requests I can use?

Answer:

The Americans With Disabilities Act extends rights to all facilities that accept federal funds to make reasonable accommodations to those with disabilities.The standard for disability is generally a condition or chronic illness which interferes or controls a significant daily activity. Diabetes is considered to meet this threshold requirement. Most every college and university has in place professionals who coordinate services for disabled students. In order to assure that your daughter receives the accommodations that she needs for a successful college experience, she must register with the office of disabled student services. Upon certification of disability, she can assert her need for a full range of needed accommodations. The school may already have in place a series or schedule of services or accommodations that they have identified as useful to students in particular circumstances. If your daughter chooses not register with the office of disabled student services, she faces the task of explaining to each professor and instructor her needs and requirements. The instructor is then free to determine for themselves what, if any, accommodation is required.

DSH

Posted to School and Daycare and Other