Question:

From Sacramento, California, USA:

My 17-year old son will be traveling in Europe this summer for three weeks with a school group. He plans to take extra vials of his Lantus and NovoLog, but, in the event that he needs more, will he be able to buy those insulins in various European countries? I am apprehensive about the possibility of his insulin getting hot or lost and I would like to develop a "Plan B" that will put our minds at ease.

Answer:

Your son should have no problem at all. Both Lantus and NovoLog are available in all pharmacies and hospitals. Other diabetes supplies, such as test strips, are also available. And last, but not least, your son could find specialized medical assistance for diabetes in almost every hospital, in case he'd need it.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Most of Europe has the same insulins available that we have in the United States. Keeping his supplies in an insulated small kit should work quite well and having an extra set for emergencies (i.e., one bottle of each insulin and half a dozen syringes that his buddy would carry for him) would then allow him to get to the next town/city and pharmacy/hospital to pick up more supplies if all were lost. With reasonable common sense precautions, he should not have a problem with such travel.

Posted to Insulin and Thyroid