Question:

From Washington, Tyne-Wear, United Kingdom:

My six year old daughter currently uses an Insuflon and her insulin regime is Mixtard 20 pre-breakfast, NovoRapid pre-tea and Lantus before bed. In the morning, she is very hungry and eats a bowl of porridge and some Rice Krispies. Despite this, and a mid-morning snack, her blood sugar levels still dip very low and she is often hypoglycaemic before lunch. We have changed the Mixtard to a Mix 10 to try and remove this problem, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. What is happening? Is it possible that since the Lantus and Mixtard are effectively being injected into the same site that there is a reaction between the two of them, causing this effect? If so, what should we do? The reason she was given the Insuflon was because she hates injections. The reason for having Mixtard in the morning is to remove the need for a pre-lunch injection at school.

Answer:

I doubt that the site is the issue, but it is likely the NPH and the Lantus are overlapping. I suspect you have tried less Mixtard and the afternoon glucose is too high....a problem when we try to "fix" things when doing it with the NovoRapid is the better idea.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Insulin