Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

I am very interested in the transdermal patch. I checked your web site and saw the last posting regarding transdermal patches was in the 90s. I found a company called Dermisonics that is currently working on this form of administration. I am surprised that it has not become a functional item for diabetics, especially with the success of nicotine and birth control patches. I do understand that insulin cannot be administered in this way because it cannot penetrate through the pores of the skin, however, is this company or any others closer to this with the transdermal patch?

Answer:

There are a lot of people around the world working on transdermal insulin delivery, but problems with getting the proper amount at the proper time, among other dilemmas, are still not yet solved.

Posted to Research: Other Research