Question:

From Port Huron, Michigan, USA:

My daughter was recently diagnosed with diabetes and needs to change eating habits. I haven't had an appointment with a nutritionist yet, so I have no clue what she can and cannot have. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

I would suggest that you limit your daughter's intake of food and beverages with excessive sources of carbohydrates (juices, regular sodas, high carbohydrate snacks such as cakes, pies, doughnuts, candy) until you get a structured meal plan with specific amounts of carbohydrates. What you will find out once you meet with an registered dietitian (RD) is that what matters nowadays are portions rather than good food versus bad foods. The RD will work out a meal plan that can allow for small amount of sweets incorporated in with other healthier foods. Moderation and balance is the name of the game with respect to diabetes meal planning. The RD will develop a meal plan based on your child's insulin regimen, activities, food likes/dislikes, etc.

JMS