From Canberra, Australia:

My friend seems to drink a lot and go to the toilet a lot when she hasn't done any sport. She is a sports addict, doing martial arts, kayaking and hockey about seven times a week. When she has done sports, she seems to not drink as much or go to the toilet as much. She eats quite a lot, but that's probably from all the exercise. She is 21 years old, 175 cm (5 feet, 7 inches) tall and weights 72 kg (158 pounds). She has very little fat on her and a lot of muscle.

She has been like this for the last year and I was wondering if it is possible she has LADA. There is no family history, except for her grandad who has type 2 and her aunt who has Hashimoto's disease. She hasn't had any major weight loss or anything because I believe she is controlling blood sugar levels through all the exercise she does. If she doesn't exercise, she can become very irritable and tired as well.

So, basically, what I am asking is, can the symptoms of diabetes be minor if blood sugar levels are kept under control with exercise?

Symptoms occur with elevated blood sugars. If they are not high enough to cause frequent urination and weight loss, they are unlikely to cause other softer symptoms.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Exercise and Sports