From Lisle, Illinois, USA:

Can you tell me the difference between type 1 diabetes and type 1.5? My understanding is that a type 1.5 will eventually become type 1. Is that true?

If the nomenclature for diabetes is not confusing enough, there is no official use of a type of diabetes that is called type 1.5. This name, however, has been used to describe people who develop diabetes who do not have a stormy onset. They appear to have type 2 diabetes and may even respond initially to oral agents. However, over time, the oral agents do not work and they have to be on insulin. It is as if the rate of decline of beta cell function is more protracted than the usual scenario for type 1 diabetes. The patients in this special situation often have positive markers for autoimmune destruction of islets, including positive titers for anti-GAD antibody.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other