From Pennsylvania, USA:

My seven year old son was diagnosed November 5, 2005 with type 1 diabetes. He was in DKA. His symptoms came on quickly. Prior to the diagnosis he suffered from PFAPA (Periodic Fever, Aphthous Stomatitis, Pharyngitis, and Cervical Adenitis) for five years. His last PFAPA episode was the end of July 2005. I was wondering if there is any relation to his having PFAPA and the onset of diabetes? I find it very interesting that diabetes occurred shortly after the PFAPA episodes ended. Is there anyone else who has seen this occurrence or heard of anyone experiencing this?

There is no known association of PAFPA with the onset of diabetes. Any stressful event, however, can be a precipitant, but likely only in someone already susceptible genetically for type 1 diabetes.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other Illnesses