Question:

From Missouri, USA:

Is there a meter that really works without a fingerstick? The fingersticks are starting to make my fingers sore. I have tried the alternate site meters without much luck.

Answer:

Many current meters are approved for use on alternate sites (see our list of Blood Glucose Meters). Some may work for you, others may not -- and it sounds like the ones you've used haven't worked.

Your diabetes team should be able to get you samples of new meters to try. You can also try using the fleshy part of the palm, which some people report using successfully instead of their finger tips.

JSH

[Editor's comment: At this time, there is no non-invasive meter for routine testing. BH]

Posted to Research: Monitoring