Question:

From Cleveland, Ohio, USA:

I want another opinion. I'm 42 years old and have had type 1 since I was nine years old. I'm on an insulin pump, see my doctor regularly and am regulated pretty well. My sugars bounce. I recently lost a lot of weight, well over 65 pounds. I also had a tummy-tuck and liposuction. I am 5 feet, 5 inches and weigh approximately 124 pounds.

I had my belly button pierced years ago, when I was overweight. It did not heal properly. I also never let the belly button breathe. I was always covered up. I was thinking about doing it again, but my doctor said that he wouldn't advise it and he won't write a note for me to take to the piercing facility. He said that it was because I was over 40, diabetic and too high a risk for infection. He said that he can't stop me, but he won't approve. My plastic surgeon said that I have a good chance of healing properly, but he's not familiar with the diabetes aspect. I found someone to do the piercing who is licensed. She's certified by the medical board and the health board.

I wanted to get a "diabetic" opinion from someone other than my doctor. Any thoughts or other referrals that I can check?

Answer:

I am afraid I would side with your diabetes doctor on this. I would be conservative and recommend you don't have it done. There is the risk of undoing what you recently had done. I have taken too many infected pieces of jewelry out to feel comfortable about this.