Question:

From Austin, Texas, USA:

I have a friend whom I believe is a type 2 diabetic (NOT 100% sure, but pretty sure). We were hanging out and she checked her blood sugar in front of me. It was 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L], which I believe is normal. Then, she started eating sweets, including A LOT of candy and cookies like a mad woman! She checked her blood sugar again and it was up to almost 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L], which I suppose believe is not normal, and then proceeded to inject herself with insulin and went to bed. I know just eating that kind of food at night is bad for anyone. Is it worse for a diabetic? I should state that my friend is a personal trainer and does work out a lot. But, I still think it's unhealthy and I am really concerned. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Answer:

It sounds like your friend needs to talk to a health care professional to discuss her destructive behavior. You should encourage her to seek help before she gets into trouble physically.

JS

Posted to Behavior and Type 2