Question:

From Johnstown, Ohio, USA:

I have type 2 with PCOS. Five years ago, my family doctor put me on insulin because my three month level (A1c) was 9.0 She said it would only be for a few months, but she never took me off it. My new doctor has put me on NovoLog 70/30, metformin and Actos. My tests are coming back at 7.6. Now that I have taken insulin for five years, will I ever be able to go off it?

Answer:

It sounds like the insulin is really helping you. You have lowered your A1c from 9% to 7.6%. But, the goal is less than 7% and less than 6.5% is even better. You should be very proud of yourself for the good job you have done but continue to work with your doctor to do even better. Insulin may be the only way you can achieve the goals that will help you reduce your risk of complications.

JS

Posted to Insulin and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c