From Connecticut, USA:

I need some ideas for healthy high carbohydrate options to include in my daughter's meals. She is supposed to consume 45 grams of carbohydrates per meal and I have to give her more food than she wants in order to accomplish this. Many of the vegetables she eats are low in carbohydrates. Can you suggest some 15 gram and 30 gram servings of healthy foods that are not served in large quantities?

That's a very good question! Here are some healthy food ideas that have somewhere between 15 and 30 grams of carbohydrate per listed serving:

• 3 cups popcorn = 15 grams carbohydrates
  • 8 ounces low fat milk = 12 grams carbohydrates
  • low carbohydrate yogurts = 15 to 25 grams carbohydrates (refer to label)
  • whole wheat crackers and peanut butter packs= one 6 pack = 25 grams carbohydrates
  • small piece of fresh fruit with 1 stick of low fat sting cheese = 15 to 30 grams carbohydrates
  • 16 Teddy Grahams plus 1 stick of low fat string cheese= 15 grams carbohydrates
  • 5 vanilla wafers and 2 teaspoons peanut butter= 22 grams carbohydrates

These are a good combination of carbohydrate and protein and tend to be kid friendly foods that taste good. Ask your healthcare team for a referral to a dietitian if you need further food ideas.