Question:

From India:

I am a family physician in Gujarat, India. I have a 12 year old female patient who has had type 1 diabetes for four. She takes Human Mixtard, 12 units before breakfast and six units before dinner. Sometimes, she has hypoglycemic reactions, but, when we reduced her insulin, her blood sugars were too high. What do you suggest we do?

Answer:

I am not familiar with the insulins that are available in your country. But, I would try to switch her to glargine (Lantus) as basal insulin and Regular or fast acting insulins before each meals. Premixed insulins for children and the young, actually for all type 1 and insulin treated diabetics, do not provide optimal control.

Posted to Insulin and Daily Care