Question:

From Orange, California, USA:

My grandson has been having numerous readings of 450 to 500 mg/dl [25 to 27.8 mmol/L] that last for hours. He does his correction but, at times, remains over 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L], even the following morning. The next day, he could have a low of 47 mg/dl [2.6 mmol/L] or so. When he was on shots, anything over 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] or so and we had to call the doctor. Now, it does not seem to be a big deal if he's over 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L] or even 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L]. I'm worried about what it's doing to his body now and in the future. Am I just being a worry wart?

Answer:

A patient on a pump with readings of high as 450 to 500 mg/dl [25 to 27.8 mmol/L] and the other day, as low as 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L], might probably have some problems with his infusion devices. Did you check with your grandson's diabetes team/endocrinologist? If this is not the case, please ask your doctor for a consultation to a diabetes team with insulin pump experience.

[Editor's comment: For information on hyperglycemia an its effects, see a previous question on our web site. BH]

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Other