Question:

From Amarillo, Texas, USA:

My seven year old daughter was showing a lot of symptoms of hypoglycemia. They did a five hour glucose and insulin test; her glucose was fine, but her insulin was low. They put her on five small, low glycemic, meals a day with protein. She also has a class five dairy allergy. They also said she had the beginnings of chronic fatigue. My daughter is constantly complaining of stomach aches, headaches, fatigue, and, for a few days now, she has been complaining about her feet hurting. She is also very emotional and cries a lot over little things. I'm not sure what is going on with her and I'm tired of fighting with doctors to help us. What advice do you have?

Answer:

If she has hypoglycemia, then the small frequent meals should solve this problem. Avoiding simple carbohydrates (not just obvious sugar, but sometimes also fruit and potatoes) and making sure that she has protein and fat at each meal and snack usually works very well. If she has some other food allergy or sensitivity, then you will need to be a better detective by keeping meticulous food diaries and seeing what makes her feel okay and what bothers her. Often, there are no blood or skin tests that can figure this out any better than good notes. If she is still not much better, then you should re-consult with your physicians.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Aches and Pains