From Florida, USA:

My husband has type 2 diabetes and recently started making more frequent trips than usual to the loo to pass urine. On two occasions, there was blood in the urine. Is this some thing to be concerned about? Is this related to the kidneys, etc? My husband won't seek medical help. What kind of advice can you give me?

Any time there is blood passed in the urine, it should generate a call to your physician so that the cause can be evaluated. There are benign causes of blood in the urine that include fungal infections, some urinary tract infections, or bladder irritation. You can also have stones in the urinary tract that intermittently cause bleeding. However, it is important to make sure that there is no cancer involving the urinary tract. As a result, there are a series of things that your husband's doctor will do to evaluate this. The frequency of urination may or may not have anything to do with the blood in the urine. You can have frequent urination as a result of poor blood sugar control. He needs to make sure he is checking his blood sugars frequently enough to give his physician an idea about his overall control.