From Inez, Kentucky, USA:

My four year old daughter was hospitalized a few days ago with flu-like symptoms. I took her to the Emergency Room (ER) and they told me that she was in mild DKA. She received I.V. treatment and was kept overnight at the hospital. I checked her urine for ketones and she had a moderate amount. Is there anything I could do to get her ketones down without having to take her back to the ER?

There are two ways to treat the ketones: food and insulin. If she doesn't want to eat, try giving her fluids with sugar in them, plus insulin. Your doctor should have taught you how to correct a high blood glucose and how much insulin to take for the carbohydrates eaten. I tell patients to give glucose containing fluids and the right amount of insulin for the carbohydrates in it. Sip frequently. The ketones will clear.

[Editor's comment: Also see our web page on Hyperglycemia and Ketone Testing. We also recommend blood ketone testing versus urine ketone testing on our Care Suggestions page. BH]

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Sick Days