Question:

From Roanoke, Virginia, USA:

My daughter just recently had her five year check-up. When we got home, the doctor called us back saying there was sugar in her urine. He wants to re-test her in two weeks. Should I be worried? Do I take all the sugar out of the house and go sugar free? We do have a history of diabetes on both sides of the family. My husband and I do not have diabetes.

Answer:

I would suggest that you review the Symptoms of Diabetes on our web site. There is no need to go "sugar free" at this point. Your daughter clearly needs some further testing to determine the source of the sugar in her urine. There are some simple blood tests that help determine whether your daughter may have diabetes. I would suggest proceeding with that testing immediately and not waiting for two weeks.