From Netherlands:

My son eats a lot of sweets, candies and soft drinks; it's an obsession. His father with type 1 diabetes. Is my son at risk for getting type 1 also? Is it related to his current eating pattern?

Type 1 diabetes occurs when the body makes little or no insulin. It is not caused by eating sugar or sweets. A child whose parent has type 1 diabetes has a slightly higher risk for developing diabetes, but this is related to genetics, not diet. The risk of type 1 diabetes in the general population is 1 to 2%. If the mother has type 1 diabetes, the risk of the child developing diabetes is 2 to 4%. If the father has type 1 diabetes, the risk is 6 to 8%.

While eating sweets will not cause type 1 diabetes, it can lead to weight gain and being overweight will predispose you to type 2 diabetes. A healthy, varied diet and regular activity are important for all people.