Question:

From Surat, Gujarat, India:

My father has had for eight years. Though he is not having any symptoms of diabetes as such, his weight is getting reduced and he used to complain of bodily pains such as knee pain, etc. Moreover, my father got glaucoma in his eyes five years ago because of this diabetes.

Currently, my father's fasting blood sugar averages 174 mg/dl [9.7 mmol/L] and his post lunch blood sugar averages 220 mg/dl [12.2 mmol/L]. My father used to take medicine named Glynase MF (glipizide + metformin) on the advice of our family doctor, one-half an hour before lunch.

I love my father more than my life. We have consulted many doctors in India, but everything was in vain. Now, you are my last hope. What medicine can help my father get rid of his diabetes?

Answer:

Unfortunately, you cannot get rid of diabetes. You have to manage it continually. That means making adjustments in the medications over time to treat the blood sugars adequately. Currently, the blood sugars are too high from the limited number of readings you have provided. You need to have your father check with his physician and ask about an adjustment in the medication to treat the blood sugars better. If the medication he is on is not enough, he may have to have additional medication added to his regimen. I wish you could just wipe the diabetes away. However, that is not possible at present.

Posted to Type 2 and Pills for Diabetes