From England:

My son was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Can he drink low sugar squash at any time or is this restricted to meal and snack times?

I would say that the diet squash (or low sugar) squash would be fine to work into your son's meal plan. If you can, get the nutrition information from this beverage. It would be helpful in order to see if there are any sources of carbohydrate. If the low sugar squash is similar to diet sodas found here in the U.S., then they should have no effect on blood sugars.