Question:

From Williamsburg, Virginia, USA:

I recently took my three year old daughter to the doctor because she was very lethargic. She had ketones and sugar in her urine so they took blood. Her blood sugar was 216 mg/dl [12.0 mmol/L]. At this point, she had not eaten all day. We took her to the Emergency Room. Three hours later, her blood sugar was 126 mg/dl [7.0 mmol/L] with no sugar or ketones in her urine. They said she had a urinary tract infection. So, they did not diagnose diabetes. Should we investigate this further?

Answer:

You should absolutely investigate this further. She needs close follow-up with the pediatrician. If she had a laboratory analyzed blood sugar of 216 mg/dl [12.0 mmol/L] with sugar in her urine, she likely has diabetes and will require further care and follow-up. Please see your pediatrician as soon as possible and review your concerns with them.