From Wayland, Massachusetts, USA:

My child is missing a lot class time due to low and high blood sugars during the school day. She feels shaky, lightheaded and dizzy with both high and low sugars. I have a great support system in place at the school for her medical care, but not for her academics. She struggled academically before diabetes and, now, it's just more added more stress for her. Although she has a 504 plan, for both academic and medical support, it is not effective. I am frustrated and need any advice that you may share that will help my child. How do I get the school to make sure that my child is given the same education as everyone else?

Your child's 504 plan should include a provision that addresses the situation you describe. That is, your child should be given the opportunity to make up missed classwork, instruction, and tests when she is hypo or hyperglycemic. Consider working with your school's 504 coordinator and guidance counselor to work out a reasonable plan by which your child will be able to make up work without penalty. You and your child may have to pro-actively contact the individual teacher and work out an arrangement. For more information or to discuss your situation, please contact the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES and see our web page on School Discrimination.

Posted to School and Daycare