Question:

From Minnesota, USA:

My son has had several of the symptoms of diabetes, including excessive thirst, weight loss, bed wetting, and frequent urination. The doctor did a fasting blood glucose. The first one came back 174 mg/dl [9.7 mmol/L]. He did another fasting, but my son had eaten, since my husband didn't realize he couldn't eat and fed him, and it came back 74 mg/dl [4.1 mmol/L]. They also did an A1c that was 5.9. Over the weekend, we have randomly tested him with levels as high as 227 mg/dl [12.6 mmol/L], but most were around 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. His doctor says I don't need to be concerned at all, but I feel 5.9 is something to be concerned about. Because I was concerned, the doctor did refer my son to a pediatric endocrinologist. My son's doctors are all through the Mayo Clinic and they consider normal glucose in children to be between 70 and 100 mg/dl [3.9 and 5.6 mmol/L]. Do you think I should be concerned and follow through with this appointment, or I am just being crazy?

Answer:

The blood glucose levels you report are not normal and could represent the early phases of diabetes. I would agree with more blood glucose monitoring and, also, consultation with a pediatric diabetes team.