From Connecticut, USA:

I just read the response to the question regarding exercising with blood sugars over 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]. It was recommended that the blood sugar be brought down to under 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] before exercising. The following seems logical to me; I allow it with my child and I would like your feedback. When my child has a high blood sugar and is not symptomatic of ketones (basically has no nausea), I allow exercise, for example riding bike around neighborhood, if we can be sure that they have available insulin, meaning that we just bolused, or in the case of more than one high reading, covered by a shot. My thinking on this is that there is now insulin to help the body convert the blood sugar to energy. Please note that without ketone symptoms, the usual correction ratio is used, no extra insulin to combat ketones is given. Is this an acceptable course of action?

It is best to wait until blood sugar gets below 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L] before exercising and make sure there are no ketones. Either way, consult your physician before trying anything new.

[Editor's comment: See Sports, Exercise, and Diabetes for more information on exercising while hyperglycemic. BH]

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Insulin