Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from May 2006

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Is there a blood sugar level at which damage occurs? If one's blood sugar is higher and you correct it with insulin, does it prevent damage? (31 May 2006)

2. Our family doctor has put my teen daughter on a sliding scale. However, this is not working well. She eats without proper insulin dosing and has out of control blood sugars. What should I do? (30 May 2006)

3. What can I do to lose weight? I exercise regularly, eat a balanced diet and take Lantus and Humalog for my type 1. My weight is considered normal, but I would feel more comfortable if I lost five pounds. (30 May 2006)

4. My 11 year old son is having trouble controlling his bladder, especially at night. Is this related to his type 1 diabetes? What should I do? (30 May 2006)

5. If a person with type 1 has had two beers and has a high blood sugar, would it affect the alcohol level measured by a breathalyzer? (30 May 2006)

6. My boyfriend's son was just diagnosed with type 1. Where can I get books to help my seven year old understand? I don't want him to resent or feel bad about the changes we are making to our lifestyle. (30 May 2006)

7. Since he had very high blood sugars and small ketones, I gave my son extra insulin. He threw up, then felt better and his blood sugar came down. Should I have treated him at home or taken him to the hospital? (29 May 2006)

8. When my teen son was diagnosed two weeks ago, they drew insulin and C-Peptide levels. Can you explain these levels? Does my son really have type 1? (29 May 2006)

9. Since coming here to visit, my brother has had headaches, vomiting and nausea. We got new insulin since his headaches often come after his breakfast injection. What could be causing the headaches? Where can we find a diabetes clinic or specialist in the San Francisco area? (26 May 2006)

10. Because she hates taking insulin, for dinner, my teen eats only vegetables and meat and exercises one hour later. Four hours after eating, her blood sugars may be slightly elevated. Is this dangerous? (26 May 2006)

11. Can persistent hyperglycemia cause vasoconstriction? Can this vasoconstriction affect diffusion or leaking of glucose and insulin from vascular compartments into target tissues resulting in hyperglycemia and insulin resistance? (26 May 2006)

12. I had a miscarriage in February and want to know if it's safe to get pregnant again. I have mild nephropathy and poor control, but my blood sugars have improved in the past few months. (26 May 2006)

13. Because my son has type 1, I periodically check my daughter's blood sugar. Recently, she's had some symptoms and elevated random blood sugars. Her A1c was fine. Could she be in the early stages of the disease? (25 May 2006)

14. My friend's two year old has been diagnosed with diabetes. Isn't diabetes a rare occurrence for children this young? (25 May 2006)

15. Have there been any studies done with regards to the relationship between gestational and type 1 diabetes in the children? If I had gestational diabetes with my first baby and it was not treated, could this have caused her to have type 1 diabetes? (25 May 2006)

16. Does lactose in milk cause an increase in blood sugar? (25 May 2006)

17. Is it true that the quick normalization of blood sugars can still lead to complications, that is better to have stable blood sugars, even if they are in the mid to high range? (24 May 2006)

18. My mom's blood sugar was 230 mg/dl [12.8 mmol/L] two days after finishing a series of prednisone. Could the steroid drug have made her test inaccurate? (24 May 2006)

19. Is there a test kit or any way to know if my insulin (Humalog pen) has spoiled? (24 May 2006)

20. I have pre-diabetes. My doctor recently did a blood test and told me I have Stage II kidney disease. What does this mean? Should I worry? (23 May 2006)

21. Is there any known correlation between the autoimmune diseases and levels of lithium naturally found in the body? Since her diagnosis with type 1 two years ago, my seven year old has had thoughts of suicide and mood swings. It has been suggested that I have her lithium levels tested. (23 May 2006)

22. With high blood sugars and soaked diapers, I took my toddler to the ER for tests. All were normal. Yesterday, he had several very low blood sugars. What do you think is going on? (23 May 2006)

23. With symptoms of diabetes, my son's fasting blood glucose was normal, while a random test was elevated. Should we request a glucose tolerance test? (23 May 2006)

24. Are there any clinical trials for newly diagnosed children? I live in New Jersey. (22 May 2006)

25. I am concerned that I had undiagnosed diabetes when I got pregnant. I was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 28 weeks. Will my baby have birth defects? I have changed my eating habits so I don't require insulin. Is it too late? (22 May 2006)

26. At Kindergarten, my son misbehaves when his blood sugar drops rapidly and in order to get sent home. He will not let the staff test his blood sugar. How do I get him to be cooperative at school? (20 May 2006)

27. Where can we find some way to pay for syringes and insulin for a child in Mississippi? The family does not qualify for Medicaid. (20 May 2006)

28. When my daughter attends basketball camps this summer, what is the best way to use her pump? Should we try the un-tethered approach? (20 May 2006)

29. I have taken insulin for type 1 diabetes for 23 years. As a child, most of my injections were given in my arms. Can this cause lumps? (20 May 2006)

30. Is it okay to take both types of metformin on the same day? (20 May 2006)

31. If a person with "mild" diabetes occasionaly has albumin in their urine, can this be reversed? (20 May 2006)

32. I am working with a mom of four, two with type 1. She is overwhelmed. Would she qualify for disability to collect additional money that might help with respite care? (20 May 2006)

33. Why are you not supposed to exercise when you have ketones? (19 May 2006)

34. After meals, especially dinner, my son's blood sugar drops very low, then is high two hours later. Should we go back to Actrapid rather than Humalog/Lantus? What do we need to do? (19 May 2006)

35. My two month old son is already 13 pounds. Could this be related to diabetes? His paternal grandfather has type 1. (19 May 2006)

36. I had gestational diabetes and now have type 2. What are the chances that my daughter would develop diabetes? She had a fasting blood sugar of 93 mg/dl [5.2 mmol/L]. Is this okay? (19 May 2006)

37. Diagnosed three weeks ago, my son is having lows during soccer. We have reduced insulin and increased carbohydrates, but still see lows. What do you recommend? (19 May 2006)

38. My son's blood sugar drops when the house is cold. Is the drop related to the temperature or is it just coincidence? (17 May 2006)

39. I have been having problems with erectile dysfunction. Is it related to my diabetes or my ramipril? Why are my fasting blood sugars higher than my random blood sugars? (17 May 2006)

40. Our five year old has had symptoms of diabetes, but an inconclusive glucose tolerance test. No one has given us a diagnosis. Could she be in her honeymoon? (16 May 2006)

41. I think I have some kind of insulin intolerance. Should I ask for a specific OGTT? (16 May 2006)

42. Will the Louisiana Medicaid Program cover an insulin pump? Where do I get pump stickers and covers? (16 May 2006)

43. My young daughter's OGTT results were abnormal, but the doctor was unable to explain them. Why did her ketone level rise? Does she have pre-diabetes? (16 May 2006)

44. Just diagnosed with type 2, my friend was put on once a day metformin. Could she take it twice a day? What meal plan should she have for her work nights? She works three 12-hour night shifts, then has four days off. (15 May 2006)

45. With frequent urination, my daughter had an elevated blood sugar at home. At the laboratory, her blood sugar was normal. What does this mean? Would a crying fit cause her blood sugar to drop? (15 May 2006)

46. Is it okay to mix Levemir and Humalog? (14 May 2006)

47. How do you choose a pump when technology is changing so quickly? When will more continuous glucose monitors be FDA approved and available? (13 May 2006)

48. What is a typical C-Peptide is for someone in the honeymoon period? (13 May 2006)

49. Are there any vitamins or minerals that can help control blood sugars? Do any help control persistent hyperglycemia? (12 May 2006)

50. What are some healthy snacks of 12 to 15 grams of carbohydrates? I am looking for alternatives for two students, one of whom is allergic to peanuts. (12 May 2006)

51. When my daughter travels overseas, she plans to use a Frio wallet for her insulin. What can she use to keep the bottles from breaking? (12 May 2006)

52. Our son's blood sugar is often quite high two hours after eating. Does this indicate we need more fast-acting insulin or that he would need more Lantus (24 hour) insulin? (12 May 2006)

53. What happens if you forget to check for bubbles in the syringe before an injection? (11 May 2006)

54. What do you think of using a tuning fork to detect neuropathy in the feet? What do you think of dosing Regular insulin prandially at lunch if you are on NPH? (11 May 2006)

55. Where can I find information regarding financial assistance for insulin pumps? (11 May 2006)

56. For a child with type 1 diabetes, what is a typical doctor's appointment like? (11 May 2006)

57. Since going on Abilify, my daughter has needed to increase her basal insulin 75%. Is this common with this medication? Is this safe? (11 May 2006)

58. My daughter is dieting and exercising, but cannot lose weight. She takes quinapril and Lipitor. Are they causing her weight gain or water retention? (11 May 2006)

59. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and would like to go on a pump. How does it works and what does it cost? Can I get it on the NHS or does it cost? (11 May 2006)

60. I often have my best blood sugars a day or two after consuming five or six beers. Does the consumption of beer have a beneficial impact on blood sugar control? Is my situation an anomaly? (11 May 2006)

61. My insulin pump has malfunctioned. How do I determine how much Lantus to take until I get a replacement? My endocrinologist is not available. (10 May 2006)

62. My son had a very high level of glucose in his urine. The doctor said it was causing the burning sensation my son had and that he needed to drink water to alleviate it. What is your opinion? (10 May 2006)

63. My young daughter is unable to tolerate foods with sugar, including milk. What should I do? Is this related to my wife's gestational diabetes? (10 May 2006)

64. Upset at being grounded, my 13 year old daughter took extra insulin to cause a low and get attention. Should we reconsider getting her on a pump? (9 May 2006)

65. Where can I find the Massachusetts law about in-classroom blood sugar testing? Is it legal for the school to prohibit in-classroom testing? (9 May 2006)

66. This summer, I will be traveling to Honduras for two months. If I take my daughter, where can I find a pediatric endocrinologist there? Is international travel safe for a child with type 1? (9 May 2006)

67. I've seen a monitor that a child wears on his wrist at night. It measures their sweat and alarms if their sugar gets too low. Where can I get one? (5 May 2006)

68. If someone had an elevated blood sugar and low insulin level per an OGTT, but normal blood sugars per a glucometer, what could be going on? (5 May 2006)

69. Recently, my doctor increased one of my oral medications and my blood pressure medication. My blood sugar went up. Can stress cause the increase? Or, was it from my increased Cozaar? (5 May 2006)

70. Are my teen son's BUN and Creatinine levels considered high? Should we be concerned? Could you please explain BUN/Creatinine ratio? (5 May 2006)

71. I have type 1 and am looking for advice on how to get pregnant. What do you suggest? (5 May 2006)

72. When diagnosed, all of my son's antibody tests were negative. Have you ever heard of this? (5 May 2006)

73. As a student in Greece, I am preparing for my Panhellenic exams. How can I avoid having lows during the exams? I take Lantus and NovoRapid. (4 May 2006)

74. Since puberty, my teen daughter is gaining weight despite cutting calories and increasing exercise. Would metformin help her lose weight? Will her response to insulin return to normal after puberty? She takes 70 to 100 units per day. (4 May 2006)

75. How important is it to use control solution to test each bottle of test strips? Sometime in the past five years, we stopped using it. (4 May 2006)

76. Is glucagon really bad after the expiration date? Should I discard outdated ones and have them replaced? (4 May 2006)

77. On three occasions, my son has had loss of feeling on one side of his body. It lasts several hours, then he is fine. What is this? (4 May 2006)

78. Are there any non-invasive devices to measure blood sugar? (4 May 2006)

79. I have been diagnosed with a diabetic mastopathy, a hard lump in my breast. What is this? What causes it? Will it continue to grow? (3 May 2006)

80. My teen daughter has had recurrent hyperglycemia and DKA for a year and a half. We change insulins, increase doses, etc., but nothing helps. What do you think is going on? (2 May 2006)

81. I'm confused about the causes of diabetes. Can you get diabetes from eating too much sugar? If not, how do you get it? What environmental factors causes it? What is the link between overweight people and diabetes? (2 May 2006)

82. In 2001, my laboratory blood sugar was 134 mg/dl [7.4 mmol/L]. Recently, it was 115 mg/dl 6.4 mmol/L]. Should I have an OGTT to see if I have diabetes? (2 May 2006)

83. My 20 year old has insulin resistance. Her insulin stays in a "deposit" until she is sleeping, then it is released all at once. So, she has many highs and lows. Plus, she has Hepatitis C. Have you seen this phenomenon in the U.S.? (1 May 2006)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts