From New Jersey, USA:

My seven year old son was diagnosed with diabetes on March 29, 2006. They ran three insulin antibody tests on him in order to confirm the diagnosis of type 1. The tests all came back negative. My pediatrician says this makes no sense and is suggesting the possibility of more tests. My diabetes educator also said this was strange and needs to consult the doctor. Have you ever heard of this?

It is well within the scope of happenstance that a child with diabetes has no antibodies at the time of diagnosis. If the blood glucose is elevated, he has diabetes. Unless you are a minority with lots of type 2 diabetes, I wouldn't fret at all. But, if you are, you might consider type 2.