Question:

From Palo Alto, California, USA:

My doctor has been trying to make changes in my medications. About two weeks ago, he increased one of my oral medications. Instead of one tablet three times a day, he increased it to two tablets three times a day, plus, he increased my blood pressure medication. The very next morning, my sugar levels increased. I haven't eaten anything different to explain this increase. Can a big increase in stress make my sugars rise about 20 to 30 mg/dl [1.1 to 1.2 mmol/L]? Or, can an increase in Cozaar do this?

Answer:

Stress can increase blood sugars. It depends on what kind of stress you are talking about. Emotional stress does increase sugars, but it does so in a variable fashion. Stress from an intercurrent illness, such as an infection, can also raise blood sugars. However, Cozaar should not raise your blood sugars. It has a glucose neutral effect.